News & Stories

A Landmark Season

Purple banner with the Wolf Trap Opera logo.

Dear Friends,

I’m writing to you with a heart full of gratitude and reflection. The 2024 Wolf Trap Opera season was one of the best in so many ways―and we have you, our opera community of fans and friends, to thank for it!

Whether you joined us for the epic La bohème at the Filene Center, an intimate recital with Jamie Barton or Steven Blier, or one of our two incredible operas at The Barns, Così fan tutte or Silent Night, I’m grateful you made Wolf Trap Opera part of your summer.

The 2024 company has scattered far and wide, returning to their artistic homes. And now, the cycle begins anew: as you read this, Arianna Zukerman, our Manager of Artistic Administration, and I are hearing the first auditions for the 2025 company.

We’ve received a record number of applications—nearly 1,400 artists are hoping to make their Wolf Trap debut next summer! Listening to so many talented, passionate artists remains one of the greatest privileges of this work, and the excitement of starting fresh with endless possibilities never fades. This fall, the audition tour takes us across the country and you can follow our journey in real time on Instagram.

If you’re looking for more WTO before next summer, I hope you’ll join me at The Barns this January for the return of countertenor John Holiday. He was last with us in 2014, when he sang the title role in Handel’s Giulio Cesare. John will present a wide-ranging vocal recital that crosses time periods and genres, offering a fascinating glimpse into his artistic perspective.

It has been a joy sharing the talents of our 2024 artists with you. Thank you for being part of our community, and I look forward to seeing you soon!

Lee Anne Myslewski wearing a pink blazer.

Warmly,

Lee Anne Myslewski's signature.
Lee Anne Myslewski
Vice President, Opera and Classical Programming

A Season to Remember

Wolf Trap Opera’s spectacular summer season featured 20 performances with 21 Filene Artists, 17 Studio Artists, and renowned guest artists like mezzo-soprano Jamie Barton (’09) and Steven Blier. The program set new records for ticket sales and audience capacity, delivering outstanding artistry and memorable experiences.

OPERA America’s New Board Chair

Lee Anne Myslewski sitting at a grand piano.

Congratulations to Wolf Trap’s own Lee Anne Myslewski on her appointment as the new board chair of OPERA America, the national service organization dedicated to advancing opera in the United States. We look forward to her visionary leadership and the exciting journey that lies ahead!

Critics Praise Wolf Trap Opera's 2024 Season

From the intimate productions at The Barns to the grand La bohème at the Filene Center, critics raved about Wolf Trap Opera this summer!

Così fan tutte

Scene from Wolf Trap Opera's Così fan tutte.

Wolf Trap’s bright and breezy “Così fan tutte” is just goofy enough 
“Musically, it was a night characterized by marvelous tangles of woodwinds, crisp statements of strings, and sturdy stage-side continuo…” 

The Washington Post

Summer heats up operatically with revisionist “Così” at Wolf Trap 
“Wolf Trap’s leadership is known to choose the season’s operas according to the strengths of its young singers, and it has assembled a crackerjack cast for this ensemble piece.” 

Washington Classical Review

“...a good Così requires six strong singer/actors…and my instincts proved to be sound. WTO’s staging of Così was excellent overall.” 

“The Barns overall is an excellent venue for opera, intimate with good acoustics.” 

OperaGene

La bohème 

Scene from Wolf Trap Opera's La bohème.

“DMV audiences were treated to an outstanding production of Giacomo Puccini’s classic opera La bohème on Friday night as part of Wolf Trap Opera.” 

Broadway World

Wolf Trap offers wintry charms on ideal summer night with a painterly “Bohème” 
“...Wolf Trap Opera Company fielded a solid cast of young singers for a worthy production of Giacomo Puccini’s evergreen La bohème.” 

“The musical execution is completely outstanding and it’s wonderful to have an appropriately youthful cast.” 

“With the cast’s emotive singing and enthusiastic performances, this production (which sadly only ran one night) sparkled with wit and infectious joie de vivre.” 

Stage and Cinema

Silent Night

Scene from Wolf Trap Opera's Silent Night.

At Wolf Trap Opera, a salient “Silent Night” resonates loudly 
“...music that revels in cinematic scale and intimate revelation, sepia nostalgia and cruel irony.” 

“[The] polyglot libretto…was well-served by a strong cast of Filene Artists.” 

The Washington Post

Wolf Trap’s stylish “Silent Night” revisits the opera’s film origins 
“Wolf Trap Opera admirably takes risks on recent or underexposed works as part of its programming formula…”

Gorgeous World War I opera “Silent Night” uplifts the human spirit at Wolf Trap
“Puts’ music is drop-dead gorgeous…from stirring military anthems…to haunting melodies such as “Sleep”...sung by the entire male chorus.” 

DC Theatre Arts

2024-25 Chamber Music at The Barns Series

String quartet plays on stage at the Barns.

In her final season as Artistic Advisor for chamber music at Wolf Trap, Wu Han has curated a series of rich, captivating programs for every music lover. Enjoy string quartets, sonatas, mixed ensembles, and exciting debuts by the Viano Quartet and pianist Jan Liesicki in a performance with acclaimed violinist Julia Fischer, as well as the return of Wolf Trap Opera alumni countertenor John Holiday. Plan your concert experience for the upcoming season today!

Explore the Season

Jamie Barton, Sara Jaffe, and Dan D'Aniello.

2024 Filene Artist in Residence Jamie Barton (’09) at the 2024 Opera Celebration Dinner with Wolf Trap Foundation Vice President of Development Sara Jaffe and Chairman of the Board Dan D'Aniello.

Special thanks to Dan and Gayle D’Aniello, Wolf Trap Season Underwriters.
Major support of Wolf Trap Opera and Classical Programming is provided by:

The Theodore H. Barth Foundation, Inc.
Lincoln and Therese Filene Foundation
Virginia McGehee Friend
Anne R. Kline and Geoffrey Pohanka
Dan and Gloria Logan | The Revada Foundation
Ed and Andy Smith
Deborah F. and David A. Winston
Anonymous Foundation